Happy Anniversary to the Live Fit Podcast.
It was six years ago, during Thanksgiving weekend of 2013, that I put together my first three episodes of the podcast. 144 episodes later, I’m still bringing you interesting and educational shows from the top experts in their field.
In this episode, I bring you a professional on eye health. I’ve never had anyone talk about eye health before, and I thought it was high time. Now, what’s great about today’s guest is she’s not only an ophthalmologist, but she is also a neuro-ophthalmologist AND is a functional medicine doctor. This means she prefers to treat people through holistic, natural methods before resorting to drugs or surgery. She is also an expert with headaches and migraines.
Dr. Rudrani Banik is a Board-certified Ophthalmologist, fellowship-trained Neuro-Ophthalmologist, and Functional Medicine expert. She is fully trained in ophthalmic surgery and Botox, and she has a special interest in treating Headache and Migraine. Dr. Banik manages a wide spectrum of conditions affecting vision, as well as the complex connections between the eye and brain.
Dr. Banik has specialized training in Functional Medicine. She applies principles of complementary and alternative medicine in conjunction with traditional medical approaches to treat chronic diseases affecting the visual system. She offers a unique approach to managing conditions such as dry eye, macular degeneration, blepharitis, migraine, multiple sclerosis, myasthenia gravis, thyroid eye disease, uveitis, and other autoimmune conditions.
She takes into account a patient’s unique medical history within a psychosocial context. Her approach is to develop a personalized treatment and wellness plan for each patient, including a combination of:
- Root cause analysis for chronic eye disease to identify imbalances
- Personalized nutritional plan for optimal vision and brain health
- Pharmaceutical grade supplements to promote eye and brain metabolism
- Lifestyle modification to address stressors and improve sleep
- Essential oils, meditation, and movement for vision, mind, and body
Dr. Banik has thirteen years of training at some of the finest medical and eye institutes in the country. She graduated with a B.A with Honors and M.D. from Brown University. She trained in Internal Medicine at Mount Sinai Medical Center in Miami, followed by Ophthalmology at the University of California, Irvine. She went on to pursue Neuro-Ophthalmology at the Wilmer Eye Institute at Johns Hopkins.
She has served on full-time faculty at Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx-Lebanon Hospital Center, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
Dr. Banik is founder of Envision Health NYC, a private practice based on the Upper East Side in New York City. She is Associate Professor of Ophthalmology at Mount Sinai Icahn School of Medicine. Dr. Banik has won many teaching awards and also serves as principal investigator for 5 multi-centered clinical trials in neuro-ophthalmology. She has authored numerous articles and has presented at national and international meetings. Dr. Banik is a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology’s Exam Development Committee and helps to set the standards for board certification in her field.
Dr. Banik is sought out as an expert in the media and has been featured in The New York Times, Good Morning America, CBS Evening News, ABC 7 Eyewitness News, CBS NY with Dr Max Gomez, Fox 5 News with Ernie Anastos, NY Magazine’s Best Doctors 2017, 2018, and 2019, The Washington Post, New Tang Dynasty TV, and Real Simple magazine. She was voted Castle Connolly Top Doctor 2017, 2018, and 2019 by her peers.
In This Episode, You Will Learn
- Why, and what kind of, nutrition is good for your eyes.
- What foods and drinks are not good for eye health.
- Blue light – Good? Bad? Neutral?
- The importance of proper hydration.
- She has a book coming out in 2020.
- Is reading in dim light bad for your eyes?
- Should people who wear prescription glasses ever go without to exercise their eyes?
- Why green leafy, and orange vegetables are the best foods for your eyes.
- Why you should eat a rainbow and the 21 colors that includes.
- What is “smart phone blindness” and how to prevent it.
Links and Resources for This Episode
- Private Facebook groups: EnVision Health, Eye on Migraine
- Instagram: @dr.ranibanik
- Youtube Channel Rudrani Banik, M.D. ( 2 video educational series called EnVision Health and Migraine Minute. )
- Migraine Resources page which has 2 videos, the supplements and essential oils Dr. Rani recommends, FL-41 tinted glasses, and a screen filter app for light sensitivity.
You Might Also Like
- Ep 95 Sugar pt 7 with Dr. Joel Fuhrman, “Is sugar the cause of addictions?”
- Ep 11 The Zone w/ Dr. Barry Sears
- 10 Ways Sleep Can Extend Your Life
- Ep 136 Your Longevity Blueprint w/ Stephanie Gray
- Ep 54 Let Food Be Thy Medicine to Prevent Migraines