To many people, marijuana is immoral, unethical, or simply illegal. But, for hundreds of people, marijuana is an essential medicine helping them alleviate pain and fight the debilitating symptoms. We all know people around us who have resorted to cannabis or marijuana to treat their illnesses. Even doctors today recommend it as an effective treatment, we can’t help but think the reason behind it. If you too are unaware about how medicinal marijuana works, read on:
What is medicinal marijuana?
Marijuana is a unique and complex plant, containing more than 100 different chemicals. These chemicals interact differently with the human body and leave an impact. Medicinal marijuana refers to the same marijuana plant but consists of those components that help to treat many diseases and illnesses. Among the many chemicals present in marijuana, two of the most prominent are CBD or Cannabidiol and THC or Tetrahydrocannabinol. These two chemicals are present in medicines, owing to their healing properties.
What is it used for?
Medicinal marijuana is a magical plant, helping transform the lives of millions of people. The medicinal properties of cannabis are not only curing diseases but also promoting its prevention. People use marijuana to treat a series of problems like:
- Loss of appetite
- Cancer, pain and nausea caused by it
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Stress, anxiety, and tension
- Severe and chronic pain
- Mental conditions like depression, schizophrenia, and post-traumatic stress disorder
- Muscle spasticity
- Crohn’s disease
- Parkinson’s disease
- Heart disorder
Most of the research surrounding marijuana states that it is an antioxidant, anticonvulsant, anti-inflammatory, anxiolytic, antipsychotic, neuroprotective, and anti-emetic compound.
How does it work?
A major part of research about cannabis revolves around THC, one of the cannabinoids present in marijuana. THC is the element that is responsible for making marijuana psychoactive. In other words, it is due to the presence of THC that people get or feel ‘high’. Although THC sounds to be unsafe, it is not harmful if consumed in a suitable quantity.
THC or Tetrahydrocannabinol is also the reason behind marijuana having medicinal properties. Our human body has an endocannabinoids system, which produces endocannabinoids. These natural chemicals like endocannabinoids are very much similar to the ones present in cannabinoids. This system of endocannabinoids is responsible for regulating our body’s responses to a whole range of stimuli. The body produces these endocannabinoids when there is a need, but often their effect is very brief. The endocannabinoid receptors, although they are present in the entire body, they are prominent in the brain only. Similarly, the cannabinoids like THC, which are present in medicinal marijuana, bind itself to these receptors and produce many effects. The effect can be medicinal, like reducing anxiety or pain, and even give the feeling of ‘high’. Chemicals in marijuana, like CBD and THC, are responsible for creating similar endocannabinoids in our body and help us fight back. According to the study, patients are using marijuana strains like indica and sativa to treat many diseases.
If you are new to the concept of using marijuana, understanding the details can be a daunting experience. While most people understand how it works, they fail to comprehend the best way to use it. There are a plethora of ways to use medicinal marijuana. While they all are safe and effective, it depends upon the choice of an individual. Here are a few ways to use medicinal marijuana:
How to use medicinal marijuana?
- Smoking: Smoking marijuana or weed is one of the most common ways of using this plant. It is an easy way for the ones who are familiar with smoking tobacco or recreational marijuana. Smoking marijuana strand-like sativa can provide instant relief to patients. It is an inexpensive way of consuming medicinal marijuana. One can even keep a close tab on the dosage with this method.
- Inhaling it through vape: Vaping is a new trend. It allows the users to inhale the dried marijuana particles through a vaping device. It is much more convenient and easy to use, as compared to smoking. Vaping does not affect the lungs of the patient, and it is especially suitable for patients with breathing problems as well.
- Edibles: If smoking is not your thing, try edibles like gummy bears, lollipops, cookies, and brownies which have medicinal marijuana in them.
- Oral drops: You can place a few drops of the liquid under your tongue and get instant relief from pain.
- Topicals: Medicinal marijuana also comes in the form of topicals. You can buy marijuana-infused cream, lotion, oil, sprays, and even ointments. This method of using medicinal marijuana is best suited for the ones who are suffering from skin conditions.
How do you get medicinal marijuana?
Many states are now making the use of medicinal marijuana legal. With that, shops or dispensaries are coming up from where you can buy medicinal marijuana. These dispensaries are legal shops since they have authorization in the form of a medical marijuana card. This means they are selling marijuana with local authorities’ consent.
People who need medicinal marijuana must have a doctor’s prescription. Only when a licensed health-care professional asks the person to use marijuana as a remedy, only then can they procure it from these mortar stores, or get Ontario weed online.