In this week’s episode of the Live Fit Podcast, I am thrilled to have as my guest, the New York Times Bestselling author of The Zone, Dr. Barry Sears.
Dr. Sears wrote a series of diet books called “The Zone” that have sold more than 5 million copies in the United States, that have been translated into 22 languages and has changed the life of many, me included.
The Book That Changed My Life
His first book, Enter The Zone changed the way I thought about nutrition and showed me that food is truly powerful and should be thought of as a drug. It has the power to alter your mood, physiology, and hormonal response.
I had a lot of questions for Dr. Sears. I did my best to keep this interview to a half hour, but I really had to know how he came up with the idea for The Zone. I was also curious how he felt about the paleo craze and if they were compatible. Hint: It IS paleo.
What is a “Diet”?
He first explained that the word “diet” has been ruined by the thousands of books that use it incorrectly. That the word means “way of life”. Therefor, The Zone Diet can be translated to mean “living in the zone”. What is the zone diet? You’ll have to listen to the podcast to learn that.
He then went on to explain that the root cause of obesity is inflammation, and if you can relieve the inflammation in the body the obesity will diminish as well.
Other Zone Books
Dr. Sears’ Secret for Increased Longevity and Optimal Health.
- Eat right – The Zone diet
- Exercise right – Strength, endurance, intervals & stretching
- Proper down time – 20 minutes of quiet, sitting in a dark room, without thinking
The Perfect Eating Trifecta
Listen to the podcast here
Below are links to The Zone website and books written by Dr. Sears mentioned in the show. (note, he has many more).
- Dr Sears Zone website information, a blog and products, such as the Omega-3 and polyphenols mentioned in the show.
- The Dr Sears website is packed with scientific information. There is a lot there. Pour yourself a cup of tea and start reading.
- The Omega-3 supplements mentioned on the show can be found here: OmegaRx